Watch & Listen
Welcome to our Audio/Video Worship
Welcome to on-line worship at North Bramalea. Whether you're traveling, away at school, or simply dropping by, you are in our hearts and thoughts. You can join us live here at 9:00 am and 11:00 am Sunday mornings.
At any other time during the week you can get the Message and the past Sunday's Special Music from our archives. Just click on the Last Sunday link above.
Please click on the icon to the left to view this week's new and improved live service at 9:00 am and 11:00 am on Sunday morning. The video player will open in a new page.
Current series..."Start with Why?"
This Sunday, October 2 - Why Love?
Sunday, October 9 - Why Gratitude?
Click here to watch our Sunday morning services!
To further explore these hot topics, check out NBUC's new video blog series "Imagine Why" on Facebook and YouTube!
Singing, Welcome & Prayer
Announcements and Offering
Message: “Why Reach Out/Love?”… Brian Pengelly
(Children & Youth rejoin families for remainder of service)
Prayers, Closing Song & God Blesses Us
We are glad you have chosen to join us today. May these verses of Scripture help deepen your experience of God this morning as well as be a resource beyond today.
Matthew 5:43-48 (MSG)
43-47 “You’re familiar with the old written law, ‘Love your friend,’ and its unwritten companion, ‘Hate your enemy.’ I’m challenging that. I’m telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves. This is what God does. He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty. If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that.
48 “In a word, what I’m saying is, Grow up. You’re kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you.”
James 2:14-17 (MSG)
14-17 Dear friends, do you think you’ll get anywhere in this if you learn all the right words but never do anything? Does merely talking about faith indicate that a person really has it? For instance, you come upon an old friend dressed in rags and half-starved and say, “Good morning, friend! Be clothed in Christ! Be filled with the Holy Spirit!” and walk off without providing so much as a coat or a cup of soup—where does that get you? Isn’t it obvious that God-talk without God-acts is outrageous nonsense?
1 John 4:19-21 (MSG)
20-21 If anyone boasts, “I love God,” and goes right on hating his brother or sister, thinking nothing of it, he is a liar. If he won’t love the person he can see, how can he love the God he can’t see? The command we have from Christ is blunt: Loving God includes loving people. You’ve got to love both.
Going Deeper with Start with Why
“Why Love/Reach Out”
October 2, 2016
Read: Matthew 5:43-48, James 2:14-17, 1 John 4:19-21
What is your favorite love story in a movie or TV show? Why?
- Can you think of a time in your life when you loved someone but it cost you something? How did you deal with it?
- Have you ever had someone say that they love you but their actions didn’t back it up? How do you know someone truly loves you? What does it look like?
- Is it possible to love someone even if you don’t feel love towards them at a particular time?
- 1 John 4 says that we love God because he first loved us. Can you think of a way that God’s love in your life has inspired you to love others.
- If the focus of our church is on loving others and bringing them closer to God, what things could our church do to show that practically?
- Is there anything that our church does that makes sense to us, but that makes it hard for outsiders to connect to? What could we do to make it easier for others to come and feel part of our church? This could be physical things about the church, the way people act, or elements of the service.
Take some time to pray and ask God who in your life he wants you to show his love to and how you can love them. Then write down one practical thing you can do this week to show them God’s love.